SCBWI Nebraska • April 16-18, 2021
We have an exciting event in store!
What: Ready, Set, Critique! is an opportunity for you to have your work critiqued by an industry professional (agent, editor, or art director).
Who: We have a fabulous list of agents, editors, and art directors ready to give you feedback on your work. Check out our fabulous faculty here!
When: April 16-18, 2021
Where: Online via Zoom
How: You will receive a written critique of your submitted work at least seven days before the in-person event; at which time you will have a 15-minute face-to-face meeting with your critiquer to ask follow-up questions and flesh out your understanding of their critique. Time slots will be determined at registration.
Why: Critiques provide critical feedback on your work. They help you figure out what’s working well and identify areas where you could improve—and often give you ideas for how to go about making those changes.
1. Read through the faculty list to identify the faculty members that would be the best fit for your work.
2. Polish your work. Writers and translators will be submitting up to ten pages of a manuscript (MG, YA, or GN) or a complete picture book manuscript; illustrators can submit their portfolio, a picture book dummy, or the first ten pages of a graphic novel. You will have one chance to submit your work for critique, so make it your very best—this is not the time for first drafts!
3. Read through the submission guidelines; format your work and name your file according to the instructions. Have this ready before your register for the event.
4. Register! Registration opens February 1, 2021 for Nebraska members. Members outside of Nebraska and nonmembers can register starting at noon on February 5. Registration will remain open until February 28 or all available spots fill. You may register for only one critique.
5. Follow the instructions in the confirmation email to submit your work for critique. (If you can’t find it, check your spam folder before emailing us.) You must submit within 24 hours of registration.
Let us know. Email Alison at email@example.com for more info.